1. In Charleston, you can turn a corner and feel like you’re in a fairytale.
greenkayak73 / Creative Commons / Via Flickr: 25411380@N00
2. Our buildings are the colors of rainbows.
Flickr: drjohn01702 / Creative Commons / Via Flickr: drjohn01702
3. And our rainbows are the best in the business.
Jen Lewis / BuzzFeed
4. The Ravenel Bridge makes you feel on top of the world.
Flickr: Ron Cogswell / Creative Commons / Via Flickr: 22711505@N05
5. And so do those benches on Vendue Wharf, if you swing with all you’ve got.
6. The Joe is home to the RiverDogs and all the best fireworks.
Seth Rubenstein / Creative Commons / Via Flickr: seth
7. And Anthony Wright with his legendary boiled peanuts.
8. Sometimes, you can catch a glimpse of the team’s famous owner.
Bill Murray loves him some Charleston.
9. These guys are from Charleston.
Hootie and the Blowfish
10. And so is this guy.
Richard Ellis / Getty Images
11. Our trees tend to look like this, or that.
ALL. YEAR. ROUND.
12. And our fountains look like pineapples.
Flickr: alnicol2000 / Creative Commons / Via Flickr: 27870539@N07
(OK, it’s just the one.)
13. The Battery has some of the craziest old houses you’ll ever see.
Flickr: r_bowley / Creative Commons / Via Flickr: r_bowley
14. And the tiniest beach where the water ends.
Flickr: TranceMist / Creative Commons / Via Flickr: trancemist
15. Breakfast is not breakfast unless grits and biscuits are involved.
16. And dessert is not dessert unless it’s some Toll House cookie pie.
17. Or gelato from Paolo’s.
18. In Charleston, shucking oysters for a roast is an olympic sport.
19. The fruits and vegetables at the farmer’s market in Marion Square are as fresh as they come.
20. And the handmade sweetgrass baskets as you pass through The Market.
Woody Hibbard / Creative Commons / Via Flickr: pamwood707
21. Second Sunday on King Street comes with the 99% chance you’ll find yourself lost in conversation with everyone you’ve ever met.
22. Even the pets stop everything to say hello to a familiar face.
23. In the winter, we skip the snow and go straight for the lights.
24. The sound of horse hooves along Meeting Street is like a looping lullaby.
Charleston’s TheDigitel / Creative Commons / Via Flickr: 29456235@N04
25. The street musicians will make you want to shag.
26. Piccolo Spoleto Festival brings out the best in the arts (and a true Charlestonian knows where to go for all the free events).
27. New York can keep Broadway. We have The Dock Street Theatre.
28. Charleston is home to some of the most beautiful college campuses in the nation.
mogollon_1 / Creative Commons / Via Flickr: camas
College of Charleston
29. And the Marina at sunset will give you chills every time.
30. Our beach piers stretch out into infinity.
Peter Merholz / Creative Commons / / Via Flickr: peterme
31. And you never know what adventure awaits as you wander through the dunes and out onto the sand.
Ted Kerwin / Creative Commons / Via Flickr: tedkerwin
32. In Charleston, you can pretty much live on the water, whether it’s the ocean.
Gretchen Esbensen / Creative Commons / Via Flickr: 59435511@N02
33. Or a river or a creek.
Jen Lewis / BuzzFeed
34. Or just in the street after a big storm.
35. Because Charleston is home to some strong, brave, beautiful people.
Brendan Smialowski / Getty Images
36. And the best damn sunsets you’ll ever see.
Tony Gonzalez / Creative Commons / Via Flickr: tonygonzalez